While smallpox is thankfully no longer a threat, life-threatening diseases such as polio, measles and mumps are still high risk in many parts of the world.
Immunisation programmes currently prevent two to three million deaths a year, but another one and a half million could be avoided if vaccine coverage improved. And while a large proportion of vaccines are transported to developing countries where malignant diseases are most prevalent, cargo carriers also move millions of vaccine doses around the developing world where viruses like influenza gravely threaten those who are vulnerable.
At IAG Cargo, we distribute billions of vaccine doses a year. We take a look at some of the most common vaccines that provide immunity to these highly aggressive, but preventable diseases.
- Pentavalent vaccine – this vaccine contains five in one targeting diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, hepatitis B and haemophilus influenza type B. As part of our partnership with the Serum Institute of India and with biopharmaceutical company Biological E, we transport millions of doses a year from India to developing countries in Africa and Central and South America.
- Flu vaccine – a new version of the flu vaccine is developed every year as the virus rapidly evolves. 2017/2018 was a particularly bad year and demand for this vaccine is particularly high at present.
- Malarial vaccines – 40 per cent of the world’s population live in malaria-risk areas, with over half a million people dying from malaria every year.
- Rotavirus vaccine – the Rotavirus is a diarrhoeal disease among infants and young children. Although easily managed with treatment, it still causes hundreds of thousands of deaths each year.
- Prevnar 13 vaccine – manufactured by Pfizer, Prevnar 13 tackles pneumococcal diseases. We transport a large amount from the US to Europe and China every year.
Improvements to infrastructure and delivery around the world have made it easier for us to get these life-saving antidotes to the populations that need them most critically. Our partners book through out Critical and Constant Climate products, which provide a dedicated team of GDP-trained specialists from the pharmaceutical and air freight industries to support shipments from start to finish.